Sunday, September 13, 2009

Saturday night might really be why church is on Sunday.

Within the theory of evolution, it is said that we're limited by that from which we evolved. We have a base and from that base, we acquire variations that have helped us survive or that benefit us at some point in time in the past. But still, the base is there. We don't have different mechanisms of development or maintenance than any other organism- genes within our DNA are switched on or off, proteins are created, mechanisms occur, and the body creates or destroys or repairs or whatever else it has to do.

I was born here. I was raised here and I've lived here most of my life. There are things I've just always known to be true and even though my learnings in Christianity say the opposite of some of those things and with very good reason, I still live here and I'm still from here and sometimes, my base just rationally negotiates its way out, creating or destroying depending on the context and the perspective.

That's not to absolve myself of responsibility, but I'm not perfect. I can't be perfect. But Jesus loved me yesterday knowing what I would do today and He loves me today in spite of what I will do tomorrow. He wouldn't have chosen me if He didn't think that even though I'm a mess and even though I'm broken in so many ways, I'd try my hardest and do the best I could.

And I am trying. Regardless of how much I'm failing, I'm trying. I'm swimming against the current as hard as I can. I just might not be all that strong of a swimmer some days.

I'm not perfect.

I'm me.

I just hope that's enough.

By the grace of God am I saved. By God's mercy alone.

No comments: