Friday, May 29, 2009

Lamentation.

Lamentations, Chapter 3:
19 Remember my affliction and roaming,
The wormwood and the gall.

20 My soul still remembers
And sinks within me.

21 This I recall to my mind,
Therefore I have hope.

Verses 20 and 21 are my favorite Bible passage so far.

On a day when I'm thrust into a world of attempted suicide, layoffs, terminal illness, and complete and utter disloyalty along with broken memories (all within the same day- today), I love that passage even more. To be reminded of what we have overcome is to have hope for the future. No individual event we might face in the future could ever be as bad as the culmination of horrible events in our past, if we have overcome a past which is adverse.

22 Through the LORD's mercies we are not consumed,
Because His compassions fail not.

I hope that's true.

Really.

No comments: